Personal Injury Lawyer — Got Pain? Call Shane!
As a personal injury lawyer with offices in Las Cruces and Hobbs, New Mexico, W. Shane Jennings works for people who have been injured due to the fault of someone else. Personal injuries are a tricky business and they not only cause physical pain and discomfort but often come with long-term consequences, loss of wages, inability to do your job, mental distress, and financial hardship. If your injury was the fault of someone else and their negligent behavior, you are entitled to receive compensation and receive help with your medical expenses and other bills. We offer legal representation in cases that are often very difficult for the injured person or their family. Contact us today for your free consultation.
Our Personal Injury Law Services
Personal Injury is a broad category of law that includes injury to the body, mind, or well being due to someone else’s negligence or bad intentions. Depending on the severity of the accident, personal injuries can cause substantial suffering. It may be anything from a broken arm to loss of wages to death. At the Law Office of W. Shane Jennings, we specialize in personal injury cases.
There are many different categories of personal injury cases. Below are just some of the most common for us here in the New Mexico area:
- Often called “slip and fall” cases, these types of cases might involve negligent behavior or a particular entity. Let’s say you slip and fall at the supermarket due to a spill that had not been cleaned up. This caused you to break your hip and undergo painful and costly surgery that turned into months of physical therapy, lost jobs, lost wages, and possibly mental hardship. If your injury was the result of someone else’s negligence, that makes the other party legally responsible. These cases include slip and fall accidents, workplace injuries, and physical assault.
- The state of New Mexico has a high number of motor vehicle accidents every year. According to The New Mexico Department of Transportation in 2018, 128 car crashes occurred in the state on an average day. 29 percent of these crashes involved or resulted in injuries. Sometimes these injuries are not always apparent or clear until much later. If you find yourself in this situation, it’s important for you to team up with a personal injury lawyer.
- Motorcycle accidents tend to result in serious injuries and even fatalities, given the vulnerability of the motorist on the bike. If you’ve been hurt in a motorcycle accident, you may be able to get compensation for your injuries and for lost time at work. Working with an insurance company can be a hassle and leave you hanging dry. Trust a personal injury attorney to take on your case.
- Distracted drivers are a big problem in the age of hand-held devices and smartphones. The act of crossing the street can end in tragedy if the person behind the wheel loses control or fails to spot a pedestrian. Sadly, many pedestrian accidents turn into hit-and-runs making it difficult for the injured person to seek compensation. Gathering evidence and tracking down the perpetrator can be done with the help of a personal injury lawyer.
- An accident that involves a truck or large commercial vehicle may be quite different from regular traffic accidents. Trucking companies will usually have in-house teams of lawyers. Time is of the essence in this and any other personal injury case. The offices of W. Shane Jennings act quickly to get the case rolling and get you what you deserve.
- Oilfield injuries can occur when least expected. Hobbs, NM has a bustling oil industry and, as such, many workers have been victims of injuries caused by poor management. improper maintenance, and more. If you’ve been injured at an oilfield, then the Law Office of W. Shane Jennings can help.
How a Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help
There is a misconception out there that personal injury cases are straightforward. This is not the case. Building a case takes some investigative work, collection of evidence, records, and the proper defense. That is what the Law Firm of W. Shane Jennings is trained to do. A personal injury lawyer will also make sure of the following:
The statute of limitations doesn’t expire.
- The state of New Mexico has a statute of limitations on personal injury cases; victims have up to three years from the date of the accident to file in court.
All aspects of the case are considered, including:
- Circumstances leading to the injury
- The severity of the damages and hospital bills
- Lost wages or loss of the ability to perform your job
Proving Who Was At Fault For the Injury
Whether your accident was caused due to the negligent behavior of an establishment, private business, or motorist, we will help collect the necessary evidence to ensure that the person at fault takes responsibility for their actions.
Establishing Negligent Behavior That Led to the Injury
The ability to establish negligent behavior by the other party is the key to personal injury cases. It’s not always cut and dry and takes some investigation. At the Law Office of W. Shane Jennings, we will gather the necessary documentation to present your case.
- Photographic evidence when possible
- Medical records
- Police records
- Witness affidavits
Stay Informed on Your Case
When the Law Office of W. Shane Jennings works on a case, we do so diligently, always maintaining full transparency and open communication about the status of your case. The development of cases can take some time, but we want you to know that we are working, following up, and pursuing justice on your behalf.
Personal Injury Cases We Handle
As a personal injury lawyer, W. Shane Jennings handles most types of personal injury cases including:
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Truck accidents
- Premises liability
- Slip and fall cases
- Workplace accidents
- Wrongful death
As a Las Cruces-based law firm, we’re able to offer legal assistance to the following areas:
- Las Cruces
New Mexico Personal Injury Laws
Every state is different when it comes to personal injury law. This is why a competent lawyer is your best guarantee of success in your case. Two unique aspects of personal injury law in the state of New Mexico are the statute of limitations and comparative negligence.
Statute of Limitations
Statute of limitations in New Mexico means that the state gives victims only three years to file a personal injury claim. After three years, you might not be able to file a claim and will not be able to recover any damages, losses, or get back medical expenses.
The state of New Mexico also has a comparative negligence provision which means people can share the blame in a case. The rule works as a percentage of the fault and means the damages a person receives are affected. For example, if you fell down a flight of stairs due to a spill within a facility, you might sue for $10,000. If the case reveals that you were also distracted by looking at your phone, the case may rule as comparative negligence, stating that you contributed some to the accident. So you will lose 15% of that $10,000.
Call The Law Firm of W. Shane Jennings Today
If you’re a victim of a personal injury in Las Cruces, Hobbs, or another city in New Mexico, you are not alone. The Law Office of W. Shane Jennings is here to help. You may be able to get compensation for the injuries and mental distress you’ve suffered. Don’t let someone else’s negligence or negligent behavior bring your world to a halt. Call the Law Office of W. Shane Jennings today to schedule your free consultation.